Monday, August 29, 2011

Steak and Gorgonzola Pasta

I've been craving something different lately.  A flavor that I don't routinely eat.  It's taken a few days to figure out what it was.  Then I had a dream that I was at Olive Garden and eating their Steak and Gorgonzola Pasta.  That pretty much sealed the deal about what I was going to cook next.  After doing some research and recipe hunting, I came across one that I deemed satisfactory.  Apparently Olive Garden has their recipe on their website for their Alfredo sauce.  I've been wanting to try a homemade Alfredo sauce so this was the time!  I didn't even have to make money online to pay for this meal.  I found a copy cat recipe for what I've been craving at RecipeSecrets.net  This is what happened:

Steak and Gorgonzola Pasta
Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo
Serves 4
Cook time 10 minutes (depending on doneness of steak)
Prep time 30 minutes

Ingredients

Marinated steak 2.5 pounds
Pasta uncooked 1 pound
Spinach Gorgonzola sauce 16 fl oz
Gorgonzola cheese 2 tablespoons
Chopped sun dried tomatoes 2 tablespoons
Balsamic glaze 2 tablespoons

Procedures

Steak
1 boneless top sirloin 2.5 pounds
1.5 cups Italian dressing
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1. Cut beef into 1 inch cubes and set aside
2. mix the dressing, rosemary and lemon juice together
3. Add the marinade to the beef toss and let marinate for at least 1 hour.

Spinach Gorgonzola Sauce
16 fl oz Alfredo sauce(see below)
4 cups chopped spinach
½ cup chopped green onion
3 tablespoons Gorgonzola cheese crumbled

1. Heat Alfredo sauce in a large saute pan
2. add onion, spinach and Gorgonzola cheese

To put the dish together:
Grill steak to preferred doneness
Cook 1 pound pasta according to the directions
Place drained pasta in saute pan with heated sauce
Toss pasta with sauce and place on a large platter
Place grilled beef on pasta and sauce
Drizzle with balsamic glaze
Sprinkle remaining Gorgonzola cheese and sun dried tomatoes

Alfredo Sauce
  1. 1 1/2 cup milk
  2. 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
  3. 1/2 cup imported Parmesan cheese, grated
  4. 1/2 cup imported Romano cheese, grated
  5. 6 egg yolks from fresh jumbo eggs
  6. Salt and black pepper to taste

Procedures

  1. HEAT milk and cream in a heavy bottom saucepan until it begins to simmer. Turn off heat. Slowly whip in cheese, then remove from heat.
  2. PLACE egg yolks in a separate bowl and slowly whip in a portion of the hot milk and cream mixture. Slowly add egg yolk mixture back into remaining cream mixture. Place back on very low heat and continually stir until simmering. Take sauce off heat so it thickens. (This will increase temperature of egg yolks, known as tempering).
  3. SEASON to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve over your favorite pasta.

This was a pretty simple meal to make, actually.  I didn't make the balsamic glaze.  Maybe I will make it for my wife when she gets home.  I was impressed with the basic Alfredo sauce as well.  I can see myself making this many times in the future and adding my own flavors to it.  This meal defiantly hit the spot and my craving has been cured!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, this meal totally hits the spot! You had me going simply with the title! I hope your wife enjoyed it, too!

    ReplyDelete