Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Finger-licking Chicken & Potato Balls - Baby Friendly

Since starting this blog and actually seeing what I've been cooking each day, I've decided to make healthier dishes because, well, bacon with every meal is NOT a good thing. When I do make one of these meals, they will be from the book First Meals (New Expanded Edition) (Hardcover) by Annabel Karmel. This way I can feed my baby girl great and healthy meals without feeling guilty. When she was a little baby, we used recipes from Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby by Annabel Karmel as well. I credit the purees from this book for helping my little girl develop good eating habits at a very young age. She loves broccoli! I hope you can enjoy these as well!




These make a great snack.  They provide great taste as well a several vitamins.

Finger-licking Chicken & Potato Balls
3/4 cup potatoes, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup parsnips, peeled and chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
large pat of butter
flour for coating


  • Put the potatoes and parsnips in a pan, cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer, covered, for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
  • Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan, add the onion and carrot, and saute for 4-5 minutes.  Add the chicken and continue to saute for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
  • Drain the potatoes and parsnips and mash with half the butter until smooth.  Finely chop the chicken, onion, and carrot in a food processor and mix with the mashed vegetables.
  • Form the mixture into 24 walnut sized balls.  Spread the flour on a plate and use it to coat them.  Heat the remaining oil and butter in a frying pan, add the meatballs, and saute until golden.


    My baby approves!  She likes them and can't seem to get enough.  Tomorrow she will have some reheated as well.  These will make a great dish for grown ups as well with just a little salt and maybe some garlic powder added as well.  I will add cayenne pepper next time to the second batch that I fry up.  These made a good and healthy dish that both you and your child can enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Chicken and potato balls look wonderful. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I will definitely be making these! I like the inclusion of parsnips in this.

    ReplyDelete